Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Tale of the Poisonous PB & J


Okay....so I don't normally make my children peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Unfortunately, they are not my sandwich of choice. To be quite honest with you, I cannot stand them. They are, however, one of David's favorites...and I would have to say Luke and Lexi, too! I just got tired of hearing Luke always asking me why I can't make them like Daddy...therefore, I usually leave this for a Daddy dinner...when I am at stamp class, work, etc. Now I know many of you are thinking...come on Nik, how hard could it possibly be to make a PB & J that your children will eat. It's actually quite difficult. When David makes them, he spreads the peanut butter to be about an inch thick. Then he puts about a half inch of jam....this is no lie! David in no way would deem this an exaggeration. In fact, he would probably argue that my measurements are on the whimpy side! You can't even see the crust of the bread because of all of the insides oozing out all over the place. Now, there a couple of reasons this bothers me....

1. PB is already a choking hazard...and I begin to freak when I see my children struggling because it is all caked on the roof of their mouths.
2. PB is not cheap, and we go through it faster than a loaf of bread...by the way, David will grab a BIG spoon out of the drawer and get a HEAPING...and I mean HEAPING spoonful of PB and just eat it like that. I will get up in the morning and there will be spoons in the study from him the night before.
3. I hate PB breath...not to mention, the use of that much PB makes me physically ill!
4. My children will be covered from head to toe with PB and Jelly after eating one of David's infamous sandwiches.

Okay, so back to the title of my post...man, I didn't realize I needed to vent about my feelings toward PB. Last night, I was extremely exhausted and David was doing a late night flight to Phoenix...so, I thought I am going to attempt to make an "edible" (meaning a David-type) PB & J sandwich for Luke and Lexi. Luke loves to help in the kitchen, so I am having him get all the necessary ingredients out...and of course, the PB isn't in its usual spot (I should have known this because I found a plethora of spoons in the study this past week) and there is no jam in the fridge. So, Luke and I look in the pantry and we find that we have a back-up of both items. FYI...we go through jam weekly too. So, you are pretty much guaranteed not to have a "routine" taste each time we have PB&J sandwiches. Well, last night Luke asks me what flavor the new jam is...I tell him boysenberry. He immediately gasps and says, "oh no mommy, we can't eat 'poison' berry jam...it could kill us." I GIVE UP...Done with PB & J sandwiches...and for those dying to know...NO, he would not eat it...and he wouldn't let his sister either!

6 comments:

Angela said...

That's hilarous! I have to agree about the PB breath. Greg came to bed the other night after making a PBJ sandwich, and I made him go brush. He was like - "But you like PB cups!" Yes - that has chocolate. Duh! :) Sorry your sandwiches are inferior. Better not buy the poisonous jam next time!

Leslie said...

That's so funny about the Hawaiian Haystacks. Does David know what they are? So here's the deal about the cream of chicken soup: I put two cans of it in the pot, and then a can of water, then I bring it to a boil. Then I add minute rice, but I don't measure it. I just add it while stirring until there's enough rice to make it really soupy (don't add too much rice because it will be dry once it's done). Then take it off the heat, cover, and let it sit for about 5 minutes, like cooking normal minute rice. It's soooo yummy and so fast. We make rice like this all the time for other meals too. Enjoy! Love you guys!

Steph Kjelstrom said...

Nikki!! What a pleasant surprise to turn on the computer and get a message from you! Blogs are amazing. You have a cute fam-hope all goes well with your delivery! And funny story about PB&J-I happen to like them, especially with crunchy PB.

Adam & Rachel said...

shoo' i would have eatin' the poison berry sandwitch. Hahaha...FYI it sound like you husband has a bit of an adiction. haha

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments on our blog. Chad was way excited to see them. I must try your husband's PB&Js sometime. Sorry yours don't quite stack up.

Sabra said...

Baby, yet?